Chiropractic care can be crucial after a car accident injury. If the spine's vertebrae become misaligned after an accident, it can disrupt the alignment and function all throughout the body. A chiropractor can utilize precise adjustment techniques, applying light pressure to address any damage or misalignment. Patients have frequently reported great improvement from discomfort and pain after a spinal adjustment.
Different Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Chiropractic adjustments are effective for many different types of injuries, including those brought on by a car accident.
Some common injuries brought on by an accident can include:
- Neck injuries, including whiplash. Whiplash refers to muscle, tendon, and ligament injuries that can occur in an auto collision. If you are in a fender bender, your body can jerk suddenly, much more quickly than it is actually able to move on its own. This type of injury can be extremely excruciating and cause strain on the neck muscles.
- Muscle, tendon, and ligament injuries. A tear in the MCL, or medial collateral ligament, is one of the most common types of knee injuries. When this ligament is damaged, there is typically a tearing sensation along the internal knee, resulting in tenderness and swelling.
- Nerve damage. The abrupt and powerful stop of a vehicle can cause whiplash, extending, and squeezing of the nerves around the head and neck. Whiplash can cause a damaged nerve, something that happens when an excess of weight is applied to a nerve and disturbs its ability to function.
- Back injuries. A car accident can bring about an abrupt hit to the spinal cord or the surrounding tissues, including tendons, plates, and vertebrae. This injury can cause vertebral or tissue damage that must be treated immediately.
- Injuries to joints, commonly the knee, hip, elbow, or shoulder. Blunt force injury due to a car collision is a key contributing element to joint damage. Typically in a car crash, the body will curve or twist, particularly the arms, legs, back, and pelvis zone so as to protect, support, and shield itself from impact. The resulting impact, quick or rigid movement, or over-extension can then cause harm to the joints, ligaments, and tendons.
Indeed, even a minor auto crash injury can have long-term repercussions. Without appropriate treatment, the resulting damage of any car crash can continue deteriorating over time.
What Are the Benefits of a Chiropractic Adjustment?
Benefits of a chiropractic adjustment include:
- Improving joint mobility
- Decrease degeneration of a damaged joint and connective tissue
- Improves circulation
- Speeds up the recovery process
- Relieves pain and discomfort
- And more
Regardless of whether your physical issue is minor or severe, a chiropractic adjustment can help. A chiropractor can ensure you know all of the different treatment options available to you so you can find long-term relief from a car accident injury.
For more information on treating a car accident injury through chiropractic care, call Affiliated Healthcare Centers today (305) 614-2895.